Volunteer crew available

Moderator: Dan - 2000

Volunteer crew available

Postby rich1964 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:42 pm

I'm keen to volunteer as crew for anyone who is short handed for the Sunday dinghy racing.

I'm not hugely experienced but I have done the Sailing With Spinnakers course and I crewed for racing a couple of times last year.

I'm available most Sundays (but away on holiday on 27th March, and 3rd & 10th April 2016).

I should get an email automatically if you reply to this thread and I'm also a member of the Laser 2000 WhatsApp group.

Richard Dawson.
rich1964

Re: Volunteer crew available

Postby NickArran » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:49 pm

Hi Richard,

Dan Rule pointed out to me that your are up for a Crewing job ... well, the Javelin Fleet often has need of an extra crew. We can't offer you a full time job at present but you're most welcome to join the pool. We had 7 Javelins on the water last Sunday and could rise to 9 with some persuasion, so lots of opportunity. The Javelin is fairly traditional 17ft 6" muscle boat that requires a bit of effort to wrestle round the course in a blow. It excels in F5/6 but is still powerful and rewarding enough to be worth while down to F2/3. More Bentley Mulsanne than Ferrari as its quite a big heavy boat. Lots of ropes to pull, a trapeze and a symetric spinnaker. Moderately complicated but stable, very adjustable and easy enough when you get the hang of it. Sort of pimped and Turbo-charged Wayfarer I suppose.

Most people start off crewing, then if we can get the number of bodies up, start to helm a loan boat with another of the crews and eventually buy a decent second hand boat of their own when one comes up for sale (which is what I did).

Anyway, if you're interested, come and find us on the foreshore (the Javelins live on the South end of the Beach, beyond the Southern Jetty), plus I've asked Dan to introduce you to us and we will get you a sail sometime to see how it goes.

There was a chance of a sail on Sunday (20th) but I think we've left it a bit late to organise. Then I'm short of a crew myself on Easter Sunday.

Nick Arran
Javelin 558
V3000 3604
NickArran

Postby rich1964 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi Nick,

Thanks very much for getting in touch. I'm very keen to have a go at crewing on a Javelin. I'm quite a big guy; 6ft 2 and about 16 stone, so maybe that will work ok on a larger boat.

Unfortunately I saw your message too late for today and I'm actually going away on holiday on Good Friday for a couple of weeks. I get back on 9th April after flying overnight so will probably be badly jet lagged so I don't think I'd better commit to coming down that weekend but I should be able to make it on April 17th. I look forward to meeting you and the other Javelin sailors.

Cheers,

Richard.
rich1964

Postby rich1964 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi Nick,

I'm back from my holiday now and could come down this Sunday. Do you know if it's likely that anyone will need crew?

Cheers,

Richard.
rich1964

Return to Helm/Crew/Buddy Wanted/Available