Carsington Water . Ashbourne . Derbyshire
Carsington Sailing Club will be running a Disability Awareness Courses during 2017. Courses will run from 10am until 5pm.
RYA Sailability's Awareness training program is to a national recognised standard. It is designed to change attitudes and awareness throughout the sailing community.
This one day course provides the opportunity to give helpers practical advice and understanding of what is involved in working alongside disabled sailors.
It provides the ideal opportunity to learn and ask questions in a safe environment before being pitched in at the deep end. By alleviating fear of disability and imparting knowledge, the course aims to encourage helpers to become involved and to enjoy their involvement to the full. Importantly, training also improves the quality of that very first experience for both sailor and helper alike.
DISABILITY AWARENESS TRAINING - FOR CLUB VOLUNTEERS
- Rationalise and alleviate fear of working with people with disabilities
- Train students to facilitate activities for people with disabilities
- Provide practical advice & knowledge of working alongside disabled people
Course objectives :
- To be aware of and able to demonstrate knowledge of:
- The needs of disabled children and adults
- Improve essential communication skills
- The use of current terminology used to explain disability
- Understanding of disability and its challenges in the sporting environment
To book a place on a course please contact Marie Thornton on 01629 540609, email her or visit the Club in person (Wednesday to Sunday).
Training Course Dates
Please contact the club for dates and availability.