May Sailing Committee News
Published 16:59 on 4 Jun 2019
The Dinghy Spring Series ended on May 5th and we are now well into the Summer 1 Series. Well done to all the Spring Series winners:
• Morning Series :- Asymmetric Richard Harvey / Mick Steer (K6), Medium fleet Alistair Raynard / Rob Burdekin (Osprey), SJ fleet John Webster (Solo).
• Afternoon Series: - Asymmetric Chris Hulme / Noah Groombark (K6), Medium fleet Malcolm Hall (Phantom), SJ fleet John Webster (Solo). The racing in the Medium fleet was particularly close with Malcolm Hall finishing on equal points with Alistair Raynard / Rob Burdekin, but won the series on the tiebreak!
Wednesday Evenings and Wednesday afternoons continue to be very popular. The last three Wednesday afternoon races have seen turnouts of 20 or more boats - this should help sharpen up our starting techniques and close quarter racing!
A warm welcome to any new members who have recently joined the club and are enjoying the club racing. In the Solo Fleet it is a warm welcome to Evan Cairns and Paul Bottomley, who both seem to have quickly got to grips with sailing around Carsington!
• Unfortunately, the Solo Open Meeting scheduled early in May had to be cancelled due to very light winds.
• There was a little more wind for the Lowrider Moth Open Meeting and 13 competitors turned out for their National Championship at Carsington over the weekend of May 18th / 19th. There was good feedback from the visitors and they are already talking about returning next year. Well done to Nigel Cole for organising this event and to John Nixon for doing an excellent job as Race Officer in tricky conditions.
• Sailability held an open meeting for the Hansa classes on Wednesday 22nd May which attracted 17 entries. Coming Up: -
June is going to be a busy month, with several open meetings taking place at the club.
• Sunday June 2nd - Supernova and Comet Open Meeting
• June 8th & 9th - Topper Nationwide open meeting. Please note that there will be no club racing over this weekend.
• June 22nd & 23rd - Commodores Cup weekend for both cruisers and dinghies.
• June 29th & 30th - Osprey Inland Championships. This event will be tagged onto club racing.
On behalf of the Sailing Committee a big thank you to all those involved in making these events happen.
Enjoy the summer sailing.